The Federal Work-Study (FWS) Program is through the U.S. Department of Education to provide funds for students with financial need, allowing IUPUI students to earn money to help offset the costs of higher education. Approximately 3,000 IUPUI students are offered work-study awards each academic year as part of their financial aid packages. Students can then secure a part-time job on campus and in approved community work-study agencies to work and to receive a biweekly paycheck.
Through hiring students who have been given work-study awards, departments and approved community work-study agencies provide students with financial need valuable skills and academically relevant work experiences and also receive a financial incentive through paying just 25% of students' wages up to their award amounts. The remaining 75% is subsidized by the federal government.